Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Homemade Cinnamon Rolls and the Glory of God

Matthew 17:20 He replied, "Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you."


I can hardly believe it happened but as my olfactory system is still overwhelmed with the aroma of cinnamon - it must be. I baked cinnamon rolls from scratch this morning. On top of that, I didn't go to bed last night til almost 1. You may not know this about me, but this chain of events is amazing on 2 fronts:

1. I am not a baker - never have been, never really want to be

2. I love sleep even more than the gooey goodness of sticky buns

So, what led me to stay up WAY past my bedtime and get up WAY too early? This is where the glory of God comes in. Despite having more on my plate and in my heart than ever, I have a peace about me that can only be described as a gift from above. God has placed before me the tasks of being His devoted daughter, a godly wife, homeschooling 3 children, helping teach in the Pre-Marrieds ministry, writing on several projects and finding time to nurture relationships with family and friends. I believe He has put me under the pile to make it ridiculously clear that I can do nothing without His favor and grace. Any one of those tasks is insurmountable on my own; all combined are simply impossible but for His empowering grace.

I stayed up late thinking and praying about opportunities that would seemingly compete with my first and obvious priorities - God, husband, children. I got carried away with the dreamy possiblities of how God may choose to use me as an instrument in others lives. And yet, my heart was filled with an overwhelming desire to serve my kids by baking them a special meal. It was as if God said to me, "Jen, anything I call you to do for My name will only confirm and deepen your love for Me and your family not draw you away from Me or them."

And that is how I found myself experiencing the Glory of God - wooed by the idea that God may allow me to influence others on a large scale and realizing the profound importance of wooing my children's hearts on a small scale - with dough and frosting.