Sunday, September 13, 2009

Who's It Gonna Be: Him or Me?

Romans 1:25 they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen.

As I sit on the cusp of another week, I am reminded of the Truth that God showed me recently. The words are simple; the execution difficult: Who are you going to worship? Every day is a series of seemingly small decisions that reveal my heart each time. I make a choice FOR Jesus or FOR myself from the very first moments of the day when my alarm shrieks in my ear. Hitting snooze and neglecting the quiet moments at the start of the day to orient my heart towards worship of Christ reveals what I truly worship.

As the day progresses and it seems like hours that I've given up for my kids (it HAS been hours...), my heart begins to crave satisfaction in the worship of stuff and not God. Maybe it's a candy bar, a trip to Starbucks or 20 minutes on Facebook - I am seeking comfort and pleasure in something other than God. Each of those items are not inherently evil on their own. It is what they become to me as I sink my claws of entitlement and demand deeper into them. Am I even giving God an opportunity to meet me right then and there? No, He's not sweet enough, fast enough, interesting enough in that moment. I fall for the age-old lie and make a terrible trade: Him for me.

God has been so faithful and gracious to me to give me a glimpse of what true worship of Him does for my heart and soul. It fills me, encourages and completes unlike anything else. Humbling myself to magnify Him naturally brings me to a place of brokenness and repentance. How can I but want to confess my sin and close the distance I've created when I look deeply into my Savior's eyes and receive grace, forgiveness and acceptance - EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Tomorrow morning, bright and early, I will awake to this song on my lips:
Psalm 99:5 Exalt the LORD our God; worship at his footstool! Holy is he!
And begin another day asking myself: Who's it gonna be?