Monday, September 21, 2009

Wake Up, O Sleeper

Ephesians 5:13But everything exposed by the light becomes visible, 14for it is light that makes everything visible. This is why it is said:
"Wake up, O sleeper, rise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you."

I feel like I am emerging from a sleepy fog. We sang a worship song yesterday at church that had this verse in it and I felt God speaking to my heart, "Good morning Sleepyhead - it's about time you woke up!"

The truth is that because He has called me to Himself and saved me, I AM AWAKE! I have been risen from the ranks of the spiritually dead and Christ's radiance IS shining on me. I could never be more awake and alert than I am right now - He has roused me from the coma of sin and death, granting me bright-eyed, bushy-tailed life in Him.

The problem is , I often choose to draw the curtains, snuggle down into bed and ask Jesus to turn down the wattage a bit because He is disturbing my slumber.

"Please, just one more hour, Jesus?" I beg.
"I'm not ready to get up".

I don't want to have to get out of bed, letting the light expose my heart. I don't want to have to love my husband and kids and neighbor in the selfless, sacrificial way that you call me to. I don't want to have to persevere through the mundane moments of life - can't I just sleep it off?

As the Glory of Christ continues to flood my self-absorbed heart, it warms to His presence and the idea that He is inviting me to a life far more glorious than I could even DREAM of. He invites me to let His light shine on me and through me, serving and loving others in a way that is completely foreign to me. He lures me out of bed with the promise that while initially life may feel less cozy and warm than my cocoon spun of temporal safety and comfort, it is far more abundant. It is awake and alive with the promise that He is near and He will never sleep so I AM FREE to sleep when I am weary but don't HAVE TO sleep to shut out the pain and sorrow of the world.

Time to wake up, Sleepyhead, a Life awaits with plenty of Light for the dark roads.